Home > About Us > Rules and Regulations of The Society
Rules and Regulations of The Society
(as revised and adopted by General Body Meeting held on 30.10.1984)
A - Constitution
1. The Society shall consist of Patrons, Honorary Fellows and Fellows.
2. Patrons shall be men of learning and eminence and shall be duly elected by the Executive Council.
3. Honorary Fellows shall be selected from among eminent scientists or other persons in India or abroad who have rendered service to the cause of the paleontology and allied branches of science, and shall be duly nominated by the Council.
4. Fellows, whose number shall be unlimited, shall be persons enrolled in accordance with the regulations of the Society.
5. The Headquarters of the Society shall be located permanently at the Department of Geology , University of Lucknow, Lucknow 226007.
B - Privileges
6. Fellows shall have the right to vote, nominate and stand for election to the office of the Society. The publications of the Society shall be sent gratis to all the Fellows.
C - Elections:
7. Candidates for Fellows shall be proposed by one and seconded by another Fellow of the Society. The name of the candidate, his proposer and seconder, shall be laid before a meeting of the council and if approved, the candidate shall be enrolled as a Fellow of the Society.
8. No person, although duly approved according to the foregoing rules, shall be entitled to exercise the rights and privileges of Fellowships, nor shall his name be entered in the list of Fellows, until he has paid his first annual subscription and admission fees within three months of his election.
D - Subscription:
9. Every Indian fellow shall, on admission, pay an admission fee of Rs. 100/- only and an annual fee of Rs. 300/- only. Every Foreign Fellow shall pay an admission fee of U.S.$ 15 and annual fee of U.S. $ 25.00.
10. Any Fellow can become a Life Fellow of the Society by payment of Rs. 3000/-, plus and admission of Rs. 100/- or U.S. $ 220.
11. Any Fellow already belonging to the Society may at any time compound for his future subscription by payment of Rs. 3000/- Rs. 75/- for each annual subscription which he may have already paid, provided that under no circumstances shall the composition fee to be reduced below Rs. 2000/-. Non-payment of subscription for a period of three years from the date it falls due shall forfeit his right of voting and receipt of publications and other benefits of the Society.
12. Subscription shall become due in advance on the first day of January each year.
E - Subventions:
13. The Society shall be empowered to accept grants from the central and provincial governments and other bodies.
F - The Council and its Officers:
14. The General Body Meeting of the Society has the supreme authority in all matters connected with the Society. The quorum for the General Body Meeting shall be ten per cent of the total number of Fellows on roll or fifteen Fellows, whichever is less. No meeting of the General Body shall be valid unless at least ten per cent of the Fellows present are non-office bearers. The administration, direction and management of the affairs of the Society shall be entrusted to an Executive Council composed of the following members of the Society :
Two Joint Secretaries
Of these at least one of the Vice Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer and two Executive Council Members shall be resident of the Headquarters (Lucknow). Five shall form a quorum for the meeting of the Executive Council. The Council can delegate its power to the President whenever the occasion arises.
15. The election of the office bearers and other fellows of the Council shall take place by postal ballots. The Council members shall be elected once in two years from among the Fellows.
16. The President shall be elected once in two years from among the Fellows and he shall exercise such powers as may from time to time be delegated to him by the Council. He shall be Chairman of the Council. He shall be in administrative charge of the Society.
17. The Vice-Presidents shall be elected once in two years among the Fellows and shall exercise such powers as may from time to time be delegated to them by the President or the Council.
18. The Secretary shall be elected once in two years from among the Fellows and shall deal with all communications and perform such administrative duties as may be delegated to him by the President or Council.
19. The Joint Secretaries shall be elected once in two years among the Fellows and shall perform such administrative duties as may be assigned to them by the Secretary or the Council.
20. The Treasurer shall be elected once in two years among the Fellows and shall be incharge of the funds of the Society and maintain all relevant accounts.
21. The Council shall appoint an auditor for checking the accounts, books and certifying the accuracy of receipts and expenditure.
22. The members of the Council shall assist the President with their advice and guidance on all scientific and administrative matters brought up for consideration at the meetings.
G - Publications
23. The Society shall publish a Journal of the Palaeontological Society of India. The Council may also issue such other publications as may be deemed necessary. The Journal of the Society will be distributed free among the Fellows of the Society. The sale proceeds from the publications sold out to non-members shall be utilized for the benefit of the Society.
H - Meeting
24. There shall be an Annual General Body Meeting of the Society at the Headquarters (Lucknow) or at a centre to be decided by the Executive Council, notice of which shall be given to the Fellows at least one month in advance. Fifteen Fellows or one-tenth of the total number of members on the roll, whichever is less, shall form the quorum for the General Body Meetings and five members for the Council meetings. No meeting of the General Body shall be valid unless at least ten per cent of the Fellows present are non-¬office bearers. For adjourned meeting of the General Body, half the above number of Fellows shall form the quorum provided due notice of the fact has been given. Audited accounts of the Society shall be presented before the Annual General Body Meeting.
25. The President / Secretary shall have the power to call emergency meetings. Emergency meetings of the Council of the Society may be summoned by the President / Secretary on a written requisition signed by one-third of the total number of the Fellows on roll or if desired by the Council.
I - Properties
26. The President or Council shall be in-charge of all the properties of the Society.
J - Amendments to constitution
27. Amendments or changes in the constitution may be brought up for consideration at any General Body Meeting after due notice has been given and provided the meeting is attended by ten per cent of the Fellows on roll or fifteen whichever is less. In case no quorum is available, the quorum of the postponed meeting be reduced to one-half. The Fellows not residing at the Headquarters of the Society shall be entitled to vote by proxy. Voting by proxy shall be valid only on proxy form prescribed by the Society.
K - Rules for business
28. The Council shall have the power to frame rules of procedure, which shall be subjected to ratification at the next Annual General Body Meeting of the society.